Friday, January 22, 2010

A Story about a moment in Mammoth!

Blue flashed through the dull gray sky as a wave of fluff cold snow covered the little boy’s hood. His dark eyes gleamed with joy from under his protective hood; “ Do it again!” he laughed! His sister trudged through the waist high snow puffing, “Me too, I’m next!”. She was thrown as far as her brother, landing in the fresh powder. Thank God I was given a spirit of when the situation seemed exhausting-frustrating-distracting. You wouldn’t have known that 15 minutes ago I was lugging two snowboards and a defeated weeping 6 year old up Eagle run through the trackless snow. She just couldn’t even stand up as the snow silently fell around her; her snowboard was covered in powder and attempt after attempt of getting to the lift in sight below kept resulting in her being stuck like mud. Poor girl, I thought as I yelled “Just put your weight on the back and point it straight down the hill.” Our journey would end as a trek back to the condo where her dad waited with the baby. I silently grumbled, building myself up into a grumpier self-righteous being, realizing that at this point only a prayer could save me from my own bad attitude. Thank God for answered prayers! We plopped into the fluff cold snow exhausted from our journey and I started throwing snow balls at Kaya; which weren’t snow balls at all. They were more like a handful of snowflakes framing my big smiling face. Her tear streaked face reluctantly forgot to be disappointed and starting throwing snow back at me; we army girl crawled down the steep hill, maneuvering through the branches poking above their snow ceiling. We laughed and rolled down to our front door; home at last. But at this point we had no intention of actually going inside at all. Her little twin brother and sister peeked out the door and soon joined us in their snow suits with their little faces as excited as if they were arriving at Disneyland.



No comments: